Project Director, North East Asia
Purpose of the role:
Reporting to the Asia Program Director, and liaising closely with senior advocacy staff in the organisation, the North East Asia Project Director will develop and enhance Crisis Group’s research and advocacy capabilities as they relate to the role of China in conflict issues in the region and around the world. She/he will also supervise the work of a small team responsible for high quality research, analysis and report-writing on the fragile security situation in North East Asia and will carry out related advocacy activities.
- Develop a close understanding of Chinese foreign policy, particularly relating to conflict areas around the world;
- Develop ties with officials of the Chinese government to maintain a dialogue on conflict related issues in the region and around the world, particularly in Africa and the Middle East;
- Work closely with Crisis Group’s New York office to monitor Chinese positions on issues in front of the Security Council and other UN bodies;
- Provide input for Crisis Group reports around the world, working closely with program and project directors to assist them in their research;
- Develop ties with other researchers in China and elsewhere looking at China’s growing role around the world, particularly in relation to conflict;
- Provide the President and senior staff of Crisis Group with advice on developing the relationship with Chinese policymakers;
- Administer the process of registration with the Chinese government and manage Crisis Group office in Beijing; and
- Provide managerial oversight of Seoul-based staff focusing primarily on Korean peninsula issues.
- Fluent English and Mandarin Chinese;
- Experience working in Beijing that included contact with the government;
- Considerable experience of Chinese foreign policy issues;
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
- PhD or Masters degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills, a strong capacity for effective teamwork and experience in a supervisory role;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and often demanding environment; and
- Experience in overseeing budgetary and administrative matters, and managing a small team.
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter, and contact details of at least 3 referees. In the cover letter (of no more than two pages in length) the candidate should briefly propose his or her own ideas on themes for one or two future reports on the region and describe the specific contribution that she/he would make to Crisis Group advocacy activities in China. Please refer to Crisis Group's website (www.crisisgroup.org) to see previous reports and briefing papers.
Please send applications in PDF format by email to email@example.com, including “North East Asia Project Director” in the subject line.
Crisis Group offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Recruitment will remain open until the appropriate candidate is appointed. Please note that only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.