Senior Analyst Afghanistan
About International Crisis Group:
The International Crisis Group (Crisis Group) is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisation with some 120 staff members on five continents, working through field-based analysis and high-level advocacy to prevent and resolve deadly conflict.
Employment at Crisis Group provides a challenging and intellectually stimulating work environment, be it in field locations or in one of our advocacy offices, working as a team with colleagues from varied backgrounds, many with distinguished track records in the academic, media or policy worlds.
Purpose of the Role:
Based in the region, the Senior Analyst will research and produce reports on security, political, legal, governance, human rights, and social issues related to Afghanistan.
- Conducts extensive field research into prevailing issues of Afghanistan;
- Provides written analyses on the key issues;
- Prepares detailed reports, briefing papers and derivative products (op-eds, blogs, short notes) setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations in a concise and clear fashion;
- Proposes policy initiatives for governmental, intergovernmental, political, and non-governmental stakeholders to address the underlying issues;
- Advocates, both locally, nationally and internationally, when appropriate, and represents Crisis Group at events, meetings and in media interviews;
- Provides general support to the Project and/or Program Director with respect to current and future Crisis Group activities and projects in the region and;
- Supervises a small research team and field office.
- Bachelor's degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience. Master's degree an asset;
- Three to five years professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs or journalism in the region;
- Proven excellent writing and analytical skills, and ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
- Strong research and analytical skills and ability to propose policy interventions;
- Extensive knowledge of key issues in Afghanistan;
- Expertise covering governance issues, security sector reform and institution-building;
- Ability to build strong relationships with governmental and non-governmental officials and institutions, media and civil society in Afghanistan and region;
- Affinity in overseeing budgetary and administrative matters and management of a small team;
- Experience in political analysis and conflict prevention;
- Fluency in English, knowledge of local languages advantageous;
- Excellent communications skills, including good public presentation skills.
- A strong capacity for effective teamwork and ability to work with supervisors and colleagues and;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and often challenging environment.
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter, contact details of at least 3 referees and two writing samples pertaining to conflict issues in Afghanistan. In the cover letter (which should be sent as an e-mail) the candidate should briefly propose his or her own ideas on themes for two future Crisis Group reports relating to conflict in Afghanistan, and briefly describe how she/he would research them (in no more than two pages). Please refer to Crisis Group's website for previous publications: http://www.crisisgroup.org.
Please send applications by email to email@example.com including "Senior Analyst, Afghanistan" in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the appropriate candidate is selected.
Please note that only candidates selected for further consideration or interview will be contacted.