Project Director, Iraq, Lebanon and Syria and Senior Middle East and North Africa Adviser
Crisis Group role:
Peter Harling has been based in the Middle East for over 15 years, in Iraq (1998-2004), Lebanon (2005-2006 and since early 2014), Syria (2006-2013) and Egypt (part-time between 2011 and 2013). As a special adviser to the International Crisis Group, he also traveled extensively to other parts of the region.
Areas of expertise:
- Syrian foreign and domestic policy.
- Iraqi social movements.
- The Lebanese political scene.
- Regional dynamics.
- Le Monde Diplomatique - 2002-2014 - contributor.
- United Nations - 2013 - advisor on Syria.
- French Near-East Institute - 2009-2011 - research fellow.
- French public and private sectors - 1998-2004 - consultant.
Click here for a high-resolution photo of Peter Harling.
Click here for a one-page PDF document with contact details.